It is not only good for that, but ensures you'll either lose weight from the unwanted fat, or build muscles if you're underweight.
For kids, it is also essential to keep them in shape - some kids are like a perpetuum mobile that never stops yet some kids need a planned activity time when they can meet up with friends and do some *workout*. It is fabulous if they can play rope jumping, biking or Ziking and the hula hoop is also a great way. Other than that, hide and seek, tag or just having fun on the playground, trampolines... Basically, the possibilities are endless, just be creative, your little ones are already creative! ;D
Let's see in numbers:
- Kids under the age of 5, normally need an average of 3 hours of physical activity daily.
- Kids above 5 and young adults need about 1.5-3 hours a day.
- Adults, above 18 and under 45 need about 1 hour at least - daily.
- Adults between 46 to 64, need a minimum of 30 minutes a day.
- Above 64, a minimum of 1 hour a week is essential.
You don't need to spend all these hours in a gym. Combine it or substitute it with any form of workout you can do and your endurance level will improve and you'll yearn for more activities.
photo by Kirsten5400 on wiki